Step 2: Prepare Your Device
You can test an app using the simulator (built into Xcode), or with a physical device (iPhone or iPad).
If you have access to the app's source code you can test it using a simulator available in Xcode. There is no set up required for a simulator. Skip ahead to Set Up the Project (Step 3 of 4).
To test your app using a physical device, follow the instructions below to set up your device.
To get started testing an app on a physical device, you’ll need to be part of an Apple Developer Program. This is a one-and-done kind of setup.
Your iOS team can add you to the company’s Apple Developer account. Provide the email address to your existing AppleID or the email you’d like a new AppleID associated with.
You need to be added to the Apple Developer account with the following settings enabled:
- Role: Developer
- ‘Access to Certificates, Identifiers and Profiles’ box checked
- Access to ‘All Apps’ or the app you will be testing
Once added to the account, you’ll receive an email from Apple to accept the invitation. Accept the invite, then open Xcode to proceed.
If you'd like to learn more about the Apple Developer Ppogram, visit developer.apple.com.
- In Xcode, in the Operating System's top menu bar, select ‘Xcode’ then ‘Preferences’ or ‘Settings’
- In the window that opens, select the ‘Accounts’ tab.
- In the bottom left corner, select the plus icon.
- Select ‘Apple ID’ and press the ‘Continue’ button
- Login with the AppleID you used when accepting your Apple Developer invitation.
Companies may be enrolled in one Apple Developer Program, or multiple, which would then likely be separated by brand. If you find multiple accounts to be the case, it may be beneficial to have a new or single account for your accessibility testers. This will provide them ownership over who has access.
Enable Developer mode on your device:
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the ‘Settings’ App.
- Select ‘Privacy & Security’.
- Scroll to the bottom of the options and select ‘Developer Mode’ to on.
Open the axe DevTools Mobile Analyzer Project in Xcode and follow the steps outlined in the screenshot below.
- From folder of files you downloaded earlier, double-click
axeDevToolsMobileAnalyzer.xcodeprojto open it in Xcode.
- Select the Project, named axeDevToolsMobileAnalyzer’, in the left navigation.
- Under ‘Targets’ select ‘axeDevToolsMobileAnalyzer’.
- Select the ‘Signing & Capabilities’ tab.
- Select the checkbox for ‘Automatically manage signing’ to enable the Xcode project to iron out the remaining provisioning process.
Once that checkbox is selected, you’ll be prompted to select your team.
- Select your team from the dropdown.
- Don't see your team listed? Make sure your Apple Developer Account has the correct settings enabled. See Enroll in an Apple Developer Program