Creating an Organization Project
Hi there. My name is Chris Rodriguez. I'm a developer at Deque Systems. And today we'll be taking a look at basic administration in WorldSpace Comply, starting with part one of what will be a multi-part series in our WorldSpace Comply product. This part will demonstrate setting up a basic project and scan for a website. Later we'll cover more advanced topics, like organization, administration, and reviewing the scan results. So let's get started.
The first thing you'll want to do is log in to your Comply instance. And depending on your organization's configuration, you will be given credentials, or you can request them from the login page, using the new user registration link at the bottom of this form. Let's log in now.
This is your Comply user dashboard, and it's the first place you arrive at after logging in successfully. From here you can view the individual project dashboards, pages and issues, as well as see any in progress scans and configure settings for individual projects that you've been given access to. Your favorite projects will appear here in the center of the screen, and we'll save those topics, though, for later videos.
Our focus today is gonna be creating a new project and kicking off a scan. And there are a few ways to do this, but the easiest is to click the 'create an organization project' link on the right side of the page under the quick links heading. If the quick links aren't visible on your screen, try clicking 'all projects'. And if it's still not visible, you may not have the required permissions. Your level of access and permissions within WorldSpace Comply will determine what shows up here. For our purposes, though, we'll assume that you have the necessary permissions to create a new project. So let's click, 'create an organization project', now.
So from here, there are two main things to pay attention to. First is the drop down menu at the top of the screen which indicates the organization this new project is gonna be assigned to. Let's make sure that we're in the right organization. Second is the form in the center of the page. This is where we'll actually enter details to create our new project. And we'll begin by entering a project name. This is a required field and will be used to help you later identify this project in a list of other projects. We're gonna call ours ACME.
So next we want to enter the URL where the scanning will start. This is usually a home page or a landing page or some sort, but it can be anything. This URL is where the scanning crawler will begin, spidering down through the links and pages. You can include subdomains here as well as folders off of a main domain. For example if we enter acme.com it'll cover the home page of the main site and it'll go from there. If you wanted to scan a certain portion of the ACME site, maybe you, you can enter subdomain.acme.com or you can even enter acme.com/project. For our purposes, we're gonna use acme.com. WorldSpace Comply will automatically populate the scan domain for you based on the URL you entered previously. But double-check that it's correct, and make any tweaks here as needed.
The scan level determines how many levels the crawler goes. The default option is to scan the starting URL and then scan all pages one level off of that. If you're wanting to scan just a single page, choose the 'scan the start page only'. On the other end, if you want to do a full scan of every link and every page, choose, 'scan all pages', but note that this may take a very long time. We don't recommend this selection. We're gonna go with, 'scan the start page and all pages one level down'. We'll skip over the scan options for now, and we'll cover those in a later video.
So let's wrap up the new project by clicking 'create' at the bottom of the form. If there were no errors in your form entries, your new project will be created and a scan of your URL should automatically start. When the scan completes, your project will have an accessibility score on its dashboard and you'll be able to see the number of issues and their severity.
That concludes this part of our Comply video training series on creating a basic project. Until next time, happy scanning.
To Create a new Organization Project select the Create organization project link under the Quick Links heading on the Home page.
On the Create Organization Project page, you will see that there are three steps to creating a Project:
- Step 1: Specify the pages you want to analyze as part of this project
- Step 2: Scan the site OR upload issues from the axe DevTools extension
- Step 3: View your project reports and team progress
The Create Organization Project page allows you to:
- Complete Step 1: Specify the pages you want to analyze as part of this Project, and
- Initiate Step 2: Scan the site OR upload issues from the axe DevTools extension.
Follow these steps:
- Select the Organization in which you want to create the Project from the dropdown menu.
- Enter a Project name.
- Specify the URL of the first page of the website you want to analyze in this Project. When initiating the scan, axe Monitor will begin the scan at this URL. (You are not stuck with this start page. You can change the start page on the Create or Edit a Project Scan page.)
- Specify the Scan Domain you want to analyze. As axe Monitor spiders the site, the spider will not follow links outside of the domain you specify.
- Select the Scan Level to specify the site depth. The default option is to "Scan the Start Page and all Pages One Level Down": this would scan the start page and all of the links that are directly accessible from the start page. "Scan the Start Page and Two Levels Down", would scan the start page, all the links available from the start page, and all of the links available from those sub-pages. You may also scan three levels down, four levels down, five levels down, and finally, "Scan All Pages". Keep in mind that the more pages you scan, the more time the analysis will take and the more results you will get. (You can change this setting on the Create or Edit a Project Scan page.)
- Select the radio button option for the desired Scan Option. Refer to the next section within this topic, Initiate Step 2 - Select Scan Options, for details about each option.
- Selecting Basic Scan will initiate the scan immediately using the default analysis options for the Organization. Note: You are not locked into the initial analysis options. Scan options can be modified on the Create or Edit a Project Scan page after running the initial scan and a new scan initiated. You can track the progress of the scan on the Currently Running Tasks page that appears. When the scan is complete, you will see the Project Dashboard page.
- Selecting Custom Scan will bring you to the Testing Standards page where you can alter the scan's analysis ruleset (if available) BEFORE running the scan.
- Selecting Use Extension allows you to create a Project that can be populated with issues by uploading them from the axe DevTools browser extension rather than by an axe Monitor scan.
- Click the Create button to create the Project.